My husband is a caffeine junkie. He LOVES coffee. He especially LOVES fancy coffee. I am always trying to convince him to cut back on his caffeine intake, but I know that he will never stop drinking caffeine. We are also really serious about sticking very strictly to our food budget. This means that fancy coffee drinks are usually off the table, so to speak. However, all fancy coffee drinks don’t have to be off the table with this super easy, SUPER cheap DIY frappuccino recipe.
Making a homemade frappuccino? Genius!
By making a homemade frappuccino, you can still get your yummy fancy coffee AND stay well within your food budget. Buying a frappuccino from the store can be SUPER costly. On average, you will pay a little over $2 for about 9oz of this store-bought Mocha Frappuccino.
Once in a while that may not break the bank, but when you can make about SEVEN of these for around the same price, why would you ever buy them from the store?
With this DIY Homemade Frappuccino Recipe, we make about 64oz of the drink for about $1.30. This means that for the same 9oz you are spending about .20 cents. That makes the store bought frappuccinos over TEN TIMES the price of a homemade frappuccino.
Ok, so what is this magical, delicious and CHEAP DIY Frappuccino Recipe?
1 cup of whole coffee beans – any brand, any flavor.
1 cup of milk
8 tsp of sugar
Optional: any extra flavoring such as caramel or whipped cream.
1. Take your 1 cups of coffee beans and grind them. This should result in about 3/4 of a cup of ground coffee. We like to use this coffee grinder. It has worked very reliably for several years and is very reasonably priced.
2. Place your 3/4 of a cup of ground coffee into a glass quart jar.
3. Add 3 1/2 cups of water to our quart jar and ground coffee.
4. Steep coffee in water in the refrigerator for 12 – 24 hours. The longer you leave it in, the more “potent” it will be.
5. After 12 – 24 hours, remove from the fridge and filter out the coffee grounds. We like to use this coffee filter. It is very fine and therefore does a wonderful job of getting all the grounds out of your liquid.
6. Split your liquid into two quart jars.
7. Add 1/2 a cup of milk to each jar.
8. Add 4 tsp of sugar to each jar.
9. Top off the jar with water.
10. Chill and shake before serving.
11. Optional – you can add caramel, chocolate, whipped cream or any other tasty addition that is your favorite.
As you can see, this DIY Homemade Frappuccino recipe is SUPER DUPER simple. It takes almost no prep time (it does take a little planning since you have to steep it for 12 hours). And, this frappuccino recipe is ridiculously CHEAP!
What additions will you add to your homemade frappuccino?
For More Frugal Food Ideas, Check These Out: