A healthy chicken strips recipe, you say? Well, look no further because these gluten-free, almond flour chicken strips are delicious, healthy and easy. A cooking trifecta, really.
First, let me assure you that just because this is a healthy chicken strips recipe your food will not be lacking in taste. Of course, they certainly don’t have quite the same, uhhhm greasy charm (shall we say) as a thickly breaded and then deep fried chicken strip from one of the well-known fast food chains. But really, is greasy charm a good thing? Probably not 🙂
Going without chicken strips would just be, well, sad. However, since we changed over to a healthier eating and gluten free life, we needed to find a way to make them healthy and gluten-free.
Let’s get right to it: our Healthy Chicken Strips Recipe
2 chicken breasts
2 Tbs Butter
2 medium eggs
2 cups of almond flour
(optional) salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line cooking baking sheets with tin foil. We love these simple and cheap cookie sheets.
3. Cut your defrosted (or fresh) chicken breasts into small chunks. For 2 chicken breasts, we usually get about 20 – 25 chunks per breast. So, a total of 40 – 50 chunks of chicken.4. In a small pot (or in the microwave) melt your butter until it is completely liquid.
5. Crack eggs and keep only one yolk. Whip eggs together with a wisk.
6. Mix melted butter with eggs.
7. Pour Almond Flour into a large bowl or plastic ziplock gallon bag. We like to use Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour whenever we can.
8. Dip chicken chunks into butter and egg mixture so they are fully coated. We dump several at a time into the butter and egg mixture bowl and then pull them out one by one with a fork. This helps it to go a little faster than dipping each chicken chunk individually.9. Take battered chicken chunks and coat them with almond flour. We like to use the bag method. If you have your almond flour in a bag, you can place most of the battered chicken chunks in at once, zip the bag up and give it a couple of good shakes to get them coated.10. Place battered and coated chicken chunks on your tinfoil lined trays.
11. Bake your healthy chicken strips at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes.
This healthy chicken strips recipe is super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. And the prep and cooking time together take about 45 minutes.
We like to put these healthy chicken strips on a salad with walnuts and oil and vinegar as the dressing. This usually results in about 4 – 6 servings. This makes it about $2.50 per serving and that is with all organic ingredients.
For more homesteading saving tips check out how we save $2500 per year homesteading!
You could also use these healthy chicken strips as a main dish to dip in any sauce you’d like and add a starch and vegetable for a well-rounded meal.