Supplies necessary to vaccinate a chick:
- Vaccine — the vaccine comes as a wafer and diluent. We order from First State Vet Supply because they offer a pack where you can split the vaccine into 4 use times.
- Syringes — we order Becton Dickinson (BD) brand from Amazon and get the largest gauge (about 22 gauge) needles (the larger gauge is actually a smaller needle).
- Glass Jar — we use this to mix the vaccine in.
How to Vaccinate a Chick:
- Mix Vaccine – the vaccine will come with instructions for breaking the wafer in fourths and adding the correct amount of diluent.
- Drawing the Vaccine – each chick will get 1cc of the vaccine mix. So, you will pull that amount into the syringe.
- Deliver vaccine – Marek’s vaccine is given subcutaneously (this means under the skin; not in the muscle). Therefore, you will pinch the skin up on the back of the chicks neck. Give the chick a little time to calm down. Finally, insert the needle into the “tent” of skin (again, not down into the muscle).
These instructions and supplies specify Marek’s. However, these directions are applicable for any subcutaneous shot. You just need to substitute in that particular vaccine dosing amount.
Need to see how to vaccinate a chick? Check out our video below:
(While you watch, don’t forget to subscribe!)